Friday, June 27, 2008

Politics (dare I)

The coffee is starting to wear off, but I was thinking about this while in the shower...does this country REALLY want change, or more of the same. Because I think the republican and democratic parties are really just getting voted in by mere popularity (money and knowing their name) vs. honest politics. Here's a vent (don't take as literal b/c it's just an idea)...
What if everyone voted like they actually WANTED to, not how they thought they should b/c they want their vote to count for someone who might stand a chance of getting into Washington. I mean, wouldn't we see A LOT more write-ins that way, or votes for nonpopular partes? Then, who knows, the race would be much more interesting and less predictable. I think guys like Ron Paul, Ralph Nader, heck, even Ross Perot, might make this place a bit more interesting if we just gave them a chance. I think they could implement some radical things that would get people's attention and might even actually do some good.

I don't think America is REALLY ready for change...they just want a different person in the White House who'll do more of the same. It sucks that we have to vote in this aristocratic society that only gives us options with the most money so we can make our vote "count." Does it "count" if you're voting for someone who you don't think will actually make a difference, but who seems like your only option b/c nobody else will write in or vote for someone who might actually make some changes in Washington? Are we all still in highschool, voting on what or who is popular vs. our personal convictions (and not the convictions our political party tells us are important)?

I dare to wonder what an honest, "poor," non-showy person might do as president. But how do we keep said person from becoming more of the same? I just answered my own question by realizing my Savior will one day be the One that every knee will bow and confess He is the King of Kings and Lord of Lords. Thank you, Jesus, for reminding me You are in control, and not Capitol Hill. Praise the Lord, oh my Soul.

5 comments:

tiffany said...

You are becoming quite the blogger! I think YOU should run for president. Hee hee. Let's drink green tea frappes and russian tea when you get home. Hurry! We miss you here! I can't BELIEVE what John is doing to your house while your gone. It's kind of scary. I'm TOTALLY kidding. I don't want John getting mad at me. Actually I haven't seen anything. Oh, when you get back I'll show you how to do the linky thing too. It's easy. See ya!

tiffany said...

oh, does John have a blog? I noticed that you tagged him??

Erin said...

ya, don't scare me like that. They're sending pics of the house today, so who knows...
John's blog is just johndailey.blogspot

Megan Quist Photography said...

Erin,
I miss you too.
Like you, I am very unimpressed with our political options right now.
Maybe Jesus will come back very soon and it will not matter anymore.

Jenny said...

Erin, THIS is a great post. What if we all did that? I agree, it would be much different!

Matt just had a little debate with another member of our family about how he's not sure if he can vote for our party's candidate, just on principal. He says that he may not vote. Our other family member said, no... we need to vote for the best one we're given. Vellly Intellesting... :)

Maybe God has ordained our poopy choices for Prez. so that we would be reminded that only HE will rule perfectly.

Thanks for the food for thought~!