Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Sweet moments of joy

My house is COMPLETELY still and quiet. Not a usual thing with an energetic 4 year old, mixed with sheltie dog, and 4 month old baby. My heart and mind are equally as still and quiet as my home. You see, I just encountered the rare opportunity (and first, I might add) of singing both my boys to sleep. I softly sang to them as I rubbed Jack's back and rocked Eli back and forth. I sang of how much Jesus loves them, of how much I love the Lord, and for sweet twinkling dreams for them both. Tears lay on my cheeks as the fan blew them cool on this warm summer night. I may never have a moment like this again, so synchronized and perfect. I will cherish it always as the Lord showed me how rich and full my life is with my family. I love them deeply. The Lord's grace gave me patience instead of haste this evening. As Jack and I shared in giving Eli his first taste of baby cereal (in hopes he will sleep longer:) and then savored our bedtime ritual of stories, prayer and the occasional song. Thank you, Lord for this precious night and may I not be quick to forget. Good Night.

4 comments:

Heather said...

I have tears of my own! How precious the memories... And how purposeful we need to be to not let those moments slip by unnoticed.

Last night as I rocked and read stories to Madeline, I realized that when she sits on my lap, her head is now past my shoulder. They grow too fast!

Then I thought of the scene in Mamma Mia where Sophie sits on her mom's lap getting her toenails painted on her wedding day. More tears.

Thanks for the reminder to cherish those little moments that will become huge memories.

tiffany said...

I love that! Love it.

Laurie said...

Oh, my Nana heart is tender for you, Erin, and those sweet boys, and my heart also aches to see all of you again! I think of our bedtime storytimes with Jack, especially when he wanted me to make up stories about him and Eli, making sure Eli was 4 and Jack was 8 so that they could have adventures together. But it is sweetest of all when you and John share about Jesus and pray with them, thanking Him for making you a family and sharing in the blessings He has given all of you. I will pray that Eli will sleep better with the cereal in his tummy so that you, too, will sleep well. Give Jack lots of kisses and hugs for me and tell him I love him and I love Eli, too! I love you, Erin. Sleep tight!

Sara Kane said...

Oh I love that!! I've been teary the last few times I've put Maya to bed as she has started to sing along!! :) Such a girl! Give those precious boys big kisses!!